Illawarra Taxi Network - Extensive transportation services across Illawarra region

Are you eligible to become a Taxi Driver in NSW?

In metropolitan areas, to qualify to be a new taxi driver, you must:

  • Have held an Australian Driver Licence for a total of at least 12 months in the previous two years.
  • Hold an unrestricted NSW Driver Licence. (If you do not have a NSW Driver Licence, you must apply for this first with RMS)
  • Be at least 20 years old.
  • Be medically fit to drive a passenger transport vehicle
  • If required, complete an English language test of conversational English. The University of Western Sydney is now providing NSW Government-endorsed assessment tests specifically for Sydney Taxi Drivers (applicants who hold an Australian/UK/NZ/USA/Canada passport, or completed their Higher School Certificate or Tertiary Degree where the course and assessments were conducted in English, may be exempt from this requirement. Further training for those who qualify under the exemption may be required under the discretion of the NSW Taxi Council on boarding team and management.

If you meet these requirements, your next steps are:

  • Visit your local Service NSW
  • Request to complete an Application to become a Point to Point Transport Passenger Vehicle Driver, you will need to apply for a Passenger Transport Licence Code. Download your application form here and lodge this to your local Service NSW outlet. This will cost you $26.00 AU.
  • If deemed medically "fit" and safe to drive a Point to Point Transport Passenger Vehicle, Service NSW staff will notify you that you have been successful and a Passenger Transport Code (PTP Code or T Condition) will be applied to your current NSW Drivers Licence in the Roads & Maritime Service System. This code begins with a 'T'. To understand why this process has changes, please visit the Point to Point Transport for further information.
  • Obtain 2 Copies of your Driving History from NSW Services

This does NOT mean you can now legally drive a Taxi. This condition only means you are now eligible to apply to become a Taxi Driver in NSW. Once this process is complete, you may then apply and book an appointment with Illawarra Taxi Network to become a Taxi Driver.

When you obtain the T condition license, you need to make an appointment with us and have the following information ready.

  • Police Check (Click here and follow the instructions to complete the police check)
  • Driver License
  • Passport
  • ABN
  • 1 x ID from Commencement of ID from the following examples
    • Full Australian birth certificate (not an extract or birth card)
    • Current Australian passport (not expired)
    • Australian visa current at time of entry to Australia as a resident or tourist
    • ImmiCard issued by Immigration and Border Protection
    • Certificate of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade to refugees and non-Australian citizens for entry to Australia
    • Document of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade to Australian (eg. VEVO) citizens or persons who
    • Have the nationality of a Commonwealth country for travel purposes
    • Certificate of evidence of resident status.
  • 1 x ID from Primary Use in Community from the following examples
    • Current Australian drivers license, learner permit or provisional license issued by a state or territory, showing a signature and/or photo and the same name as claimed
    • Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory (church or celebrant-issued certificates are not accepted)
    • Current passport issued by a country other than Australia with a valid entry stamp or visa
    • Current proof of age or photo identity card issued by an Australian Government agency in the name of the Applicant, with a signature and photo
    • Current shooters or firearms license showing a signature and photo (not minor or junior permit or license)
    • For persons under 18 years of age with no other Primary Use in Community Documents, a current student identification card with a signature or photo.
  • 2 x ID's from Secondary Use In Community Documents from the following examples
    • Certificate of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade
    • Document of identity issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade
    • Convention travel document secondary (United Nations) issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade
    • Foreign government issued documents (for example, drivers license)
    • Medicare card
    • Enrolment with the Australian Electoral Commission
    • Security guard or crowd control photo license
    • Evidence of right to an Australian government benefit (Centrelink or Veterans' Affairs)
    • Consular photo identity card issued by Foreign Affairs and Trade
    • Photo identity card issued to an officer by a police force
    • Photo identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force
    • Photo identity card issued by the Australian Government or a state or territory government
    • Aviation Security Identification Card
    • Maritime Security Identification card
    • Credit reference check
    • Australian tertiary student photo identity document
    • Australian secondary student photo identity document
    • Certified academic transcript from an Australian university
    • Trusted referees report
    • Bank card
    • Credit card

If a document has an expiration date, such as a passport, you must ensure that your document is not expired. Any expired documents will treat as invalid.

After you have prepared the above required documents, click here to make an appointment to apply for your Driver ID.